Friday, March 28, 2014

Ready for my close up (viral and bacterial)

What I have been working on…
Specimen 1 (left) Specimen 2 (right)
My current work explores and transforms sexually transmittable disease into a tactile patterned sculptural form. Each piece is covered with a combination of stitched glass seed beads and a smooth milky camouflage of false skin.  I see the preciousness or beauty of the materials I use as a  seducer, something that draws a viewer into a state of physical intimacy with my work.  
These materials help to give the forms the appearance of active transformation like shedding skin, cell growth, and cold to-the-touch morbidity. This helps my goal of showing that something can be visually appealing while at the same time, thematically disturbing. 

 

 


each piece is 25" H x 12" W x 6" D

No comments:

Post a Comment